If you can grow grass, you can grow grains. Grains are grass after all!
- To plant the seed, there are two options:
Broadcast – by throwing/spreading seeds in sweeping arcs.
Plant in rows – recommended for beginners. Also makes it easier to weed and play in. Plant each seed by hand.
- Space seeds no closer then 1 inch apart. (The plants will fill in the gaps and this also keeps them from falling over.)
- Once you have spread the seed, cover with a few centimetres of soil or rake the seeds in. Be sure and tamp the soil down to get contact between the seed and the soil.
- Give it a drink of water.
- Pat yourself on the back and enjoy the magic unfolding.
A video of Chris the Flour Peddler demonstrating how to plant a small patch.